One of the most common ways to use essential oils is by adding a few drops to your bath for a peaceful, rejuvenating experience. The warmth of the bath water helps the skin absorb the essential oils, leaving you with silky smooth skin. While the fragrance fills the room, leaving a calming aroma in the air.
Before adding essential oils to your bath routine it’s worth noting that there is a right and wrong way to do this. Read on for tips on how to use essential oils in your bath and the best essential oils to use!
Is it Safe to Put Essential Oils in Your Bath?
For the most part, yes, essential oils are safe to put in your bath. There are some precautions you should take before adding essential oils into your routine.
- Always consult a physician before using essential oils. Some oils can cause allergic reactions or skin irritation.
- Always read the instructions that come with your oil before use.
- Don’t over-do it! With essential oils a little goes a long way. 6-8 drops for a bath is plenty.
- Put the oil in after your bathtub is full and disperse evenly throughout by agitating the water.
- Only use certain oils, some may cause skin irritation (more on that below)
Best Essential Oils for the Bath
- Rose: Rose oil is great for all skin types, even dry sensitive skin. Rose oil is believed to have restorative effects and also helps with anxiety or nervous tension. Our favorite rose oil is Alteya’s Rose Oil, it’s more expensive but a little goes a long way. Click here to purchase their rose oil on Amazon.
- Sandalwood: Any oil that is derived from tree bark is said to be incredibly soothing and grounding. Sandalwood is adored for it’s fragrance and also has calming properties. Our go-to Sandalwood oil is by Healing Solutions – you can purchase it on Amazon by clicking here.
- Geranium: Geranium oil is a great essential oil to use for your bath routine. It helps improve the health and radiancy of skin and is also believed to help relieve depression. Nature’s Oil has a great Geranium oil available on Amazon. Click hereto purchase.
- Neroli: This oil, derived from orange blossom flowers, encourages sleep and helps reduce anxiety. The fragrance from this oil helps uplift the spirit and soothe the mind. Our absolute favorite Neroli Oil is by Healing Soultions, purchase this oil on Amazon by clicking here.
- Peppermint: Peppermint oil is often used to calm the mind, and it smells amazing! The peppermint oil fragrance can also help clear out your sinuses and relieve headaches and migraines. Check out our favorite peppermint oil by clicking here.
- Lavender: Lavender oil is know to treat insomnia and is perfect for a bath right before bed. The lavender oil has calming affects and also supports damaged or irritated skin. NOW Foods makes one of our favorite Lavender Oils—you can purchase it by clicking here.
- Roman or German Chamomile: Chamomile oil is often known for its calming properties making it an ideal oil to add to a relaxing bath after a stressful day. Click here to purchase one of our top German Chamomile essential oils from US Organic.
- Vetiver: Vetiver is great for bringing moisture to dry skin. This essential oil is derived from the roots of the vetiver plant and is loaded with antioxidants, making it a great bath addition. Click here to get our favorite Vetiver oil on Amazon.
How to Use Essential Oils in the Bath
For a quick tutorial on how to use essential oils in your bath correctly, check out this video by Oh Lardy!